The Early YearsEdit
Rhett Mclaughlin was born in Macon, Georgia, and lived there until around the age of three. His family then moved to Thousand Oaks California until Rhett was 5. In 1984 they moved to Buies Creek, North Carolina, where his dad became a law professor at Campbell University. Rhett has one brother named Cole who is three years older than him. Link revealed in an episode of Good Mythical Morning that when Rhett was younger he competed in two beauty pageants (although Rhett "claims" that never happened.) Rhett is very tall, like his mother.
First-grader Rhett McLaughlin met his classmate and to-be lifelong friend, Link Neal, in 1984 at Buies Creek Elementary School in Buies Creek, North Carolina when the two were held in from recess for writing "hel" and "dam" on their desks, misspelled. They spent the time coloring pictures of mythical beasts. Little did they know that the incident would define the course of their lives.
Even as children both Rhett and Link applied their creativity by performing skits and "interviewing" each other as different characters. At fourteen they wrote a screenplay entitled Gutless Wonders and began its film production. However, they shot only a few scenes and the film was left unfinished. In 1999, Rhett wrote "The Tragedy," which recorded in detail the events surrounding a snowboarding accident that left Link with a broken pelvis and, more notably, a month's worth of memory loss.
Rhett attended North Carolina State University where he roomed with Link and two other friends, Gregg and Tim, and studied civil engineering. He graduated and spent some time working for Black & Veatch. He was later laid off from this job but had been planning to leave anyway to pursue a life of entertainment with his best friend.
Rhett plays basketball. He stands 6'7", and his mom stands 5"10.
Rhett has said he would be willing to pay $1,000 a month to keep his beard.
Rhett was married in 2001 to Jessie Lane and now has two sons named Locke and Shepherd. He is the second child of Diane and Jim McLaughlin. He has an older brother named Cole.
As of January 2013 as a new year's resolution, Rhett acquired a gym membership for himself and joined an hour-long co-ed P90X (aerobics) class. It begins before seven AM on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and, due to the circumstances, made Rhett decide to go with his hair "going whatever way it was when I woke up." Rhett was lightly made fun of by the instructor, telling him to stay away from her as if he is there to pick up women despite his age and marital status.
Rhett can play guitar as well as sing.
Rhett likes sports and hates when people say "Go Sports!"
Rhett strongly hates anything from Albertsons.
- Both Link and Rhett have appeared on the kids show "Jelly Telly" many times as a singing duo known as The Fabulous Bentley Brothers
- Both Link and Rhett have appeared on the Youtube channel Smosh Pit on episode 22 of the channel's series "Try Not To Laugh" (Try Not To Laugh #22 w/ Rhett & Link)
- Epic Rap Battles of History "Artists vs TMNT" as Donatello Bardi
- Epic Rap Battles of History "Mario Bros vs. Wright Bros" with Link as the Wright Bros
- Epic Rap Battles of History "Lewis and Clark vs Bill and Ted" as Clark
- An episode of TableTop featuring the board game Concept.
Rhett's nicknames in high schoolEdit
- Shark Bait
- Velvet Hook
- Cement Shoulders
- The Dream Walker
- Macro McLaughlin
- Chilli Puller
- Bearded Ken
- Turtle Meat
- The Hairy Baster
- The Jack-master
- Residual Whiteness
- Anti-Sperm Formula
- Worm Forward
- Crusty Dangle
- Floppy Delight
- White Peanut
- Big Yolk
Rhett’s Obsessions / “Layers” Edit
- Apocalypse Prep
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Conspiracy theories
- Crow Hunting
- Crown Victorias
- Four Wheeling
- Hot Yoga
- Paddle Boarding
- Reading Horror Novels
- Snow Skiing
- Ultra Lights
- Wine Pairings
- Rhett’s wife, Jessica (or "Jessie") is 5’3" meaning that Rhett is one foot and four inches taller.
- Rhett has stated before that the first thing he does when he gets up in the morning is read the comments from their latest upload. He has called it a neurosis. It is unknown if he still does so, as this was stated in 2013. 
- Rhett’s dad made him pancakes in the morning every Tuesday.
- Rhett’s mother, Mama Di (Diane McLaughlin) watches every single episode of GMM and GMMore.
- Rhett loves all things made of wood. He currently has several wood items such as bowls, a wooden sphere, a wooden cup, a wooden spoon and fork, and straws and various items sent to him by fans. 
- Rhett once found a full three-piece suit made out of denim at a thrift store that actually fits him. 
- Rhett is said to look similar to Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead. Mostly from his beard.
- Rhett wet the bed as a child .
- He also tended to get nose bleeds when he got excited. 
- Rhett has a voracious appetite, and he has claimed that he always eats everything on his plate. (4:20 at ).
- Rhett spent three months in Slovakia .
- Rhett is an extreme futurist. He lives so much for the future, he has a hard time enjoying anything in the present. 
- Rhett suffers from psoriasis , several herniated or ruptured discs in his back , and a predisposition to colon cancer .
- Rhett says that in his younger years, he devoted 90% of his thought process to thinking about girls. He was attracted to the female gender at the young age of five. 
- Rhett can make the living adaptation of the “the smolder”.
- Rhett has a beauty mark, or mole on his upper lip, which is now hidden by his beard. 
- Rhett loves islands of all kinds and hopes to one day live on one. 
- Rhett was an aspiring basketball athlete in high school, and to this day, he still holds the record for the most amount of "Three-Pointers" in one season --77-- at his high school, Harnett Central. 
- Rhett helped build a house at the age of 16, with the help of an old man, and a fellow sixteen-year-old.
- Rhett was last spanked at the age of 14 by his father for throwing rocks off of their elementary school building to cars below. 
- Rhett has legs for days… , 
- Rhett mumbles often. He claims that this tendency to do so stems from the fact he: 1. has a small mouth, and 2. is a giant man and needs to speak softly to not intimidate people. 
- Rhett is very very competitive, even as a small child he would try to win at everything from basketball to gym class to pool games.
- Rhett suffered from febrile seizures as a child, and his sons, Locke and Shepherd, inherited the same trait. Fortunately, this condition only affects children two and under. 
- Rhett would watch horror movies with his mother, his earliest being, Hellraiser, at the age of ten.
- Rhett was already 6 foot in the sixth grade, and 6’4 by high school. However, these could've been exaggerations. 
- Rhett does not believe in the friend zone, and in his teen years would power through to either a relationship or an awkward acquaintanceship. 
- Rhett once planted what he thought was a bush at the side of his childhood home in the third grade. It was years later when he realized that the bush was actually a cedar tree, which is still there, ruining the foundation of the home. 
- Rhett used to draw comics of what his friends did in high school, including the time that Link ate a worm’s anus. 
- Rhett’s favorite animal is a giraffe. 
- Rhett’s first and only fight was in the third grade when he punched John Carson in the stomach while defending young Link. 
- Rhett once threw a SpeedStick deodorant at Cole, his older brother, and Link, for implying that he liked Melissa Hood. He still gets bothered by the accusation today. 
- Rhett often ended fights with Link using the “I’m Dead Move” which was simply laying on Link, using his larger size to pin him down, and repeating “I’m dead” until Link gave in. The last occurrence of this, not included a simulated “I’m dead move” in a GMM episode 74 and episode 918 , was in college, where they were both in their boxers. 
- Rhett has had several severe back injuries, due to herniated discs in his back. The most recent one was in 2011, where he discussed it on GMM. It is unknown if he still suffers from it. 
- Rhett has cable for the sole purpose of having ESPN2, so he can watch college basketball.
- Rhett sleeps in the nude, but only with his wife. He does not with Link. 
- For most of Rhett’s life, he had a buzzcut and was clean-shaven. 
- Rhett tends to like ‘gimmick’ products, is a sucker for seasonal items and is easily manipulated into buying a thing from advertising. , 
- Rhett has almost died twice, both instances occurring while he was with Link. , 
- Rhett, despite his size, is deathly afraid of heights 
- Rhett never got lower than a B in any class, except in conduct. 
- Rhett does a number of stretches to help his back and claims that he is now as flexible as to when he was a baby. 
- Rhett's favorite board game is Risk.
- Whenever Rhett shares a bed with Link, he goes into “log” mode, where he folds his hands together over his stomach and does not move for the remainder of the night. Unfortunately for him, Link does not extend the same courtesy, and as a result, Rhett has been spooned by Link, many, many times. 
- Rhett has admitted that he cries often, from a moving circus act to a good Pixar movie. He cries every time he sees ‘The Notebook’.
- Rhett has dyed his hair in many different colors, including Grey, Apricot, Yellow, etc.
- Rhett has owned several different cars, including but not limited to: an unspecified Scion xB, a Dodge Intrepid, a blue Dodge Dynasty and an Oldsmobile Omega . At one point he and Link jointly used to own a 1992 Ford Bronco as a company vehicle and for camping  . They have also owned an unspecified Ford Fusion as a corporate vehicle for carpooling to work .
- On Feb. 25, 2017, Rhett was in his "first-ever whole-freeway-stopping wreck". According to a Twitter post he made. the post is as follows, "I was in my first ever whole-freeway-stopping wreck last night. Was not my fault. I am not hurt. Car is Basically fine. A tad harrowing."
- Rhett is a self proclaimed Hopeful Agnostic, according to the Feb 3, 2020 episode of the Ear Biscuits podcast.
- Link’s Mom supposedly kisses Rhett on the cheek every time they meet. This is said in Fried Boiled Food vs. Boiled Fried Food
- Rhett “sort-of likes” mustard and coffee together, though not mustard mixed in coffee. He discovers this in Surprising Food Combos Taste Test.
- Mythical Beasts joke that GMM has started with Link’s hair down and Rhett’s hair up and it is now Link’s hair up, and Rhett’s hair down.
- Rhett said in their Ice Cream Taste Test Tournament that when it comes to Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ben & Jerry's ice cream that it is chocolate and fudge brownie and not chocolate, fudge, and brownie.
- Rhett’s mom bought Häägen-Dazs ice cream because it sounded fancy. Rhett later found that it doesn’t mean anything.
- Rhett’s favorite ice cream as a kid was rocky road. This was said in Ice Cream Taste Test Tournament: Chocolate Flavors
- In Ice Cream Taste Test Tournament: Chocolate Flavors, Rhett said he can't eat Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cram without thinking about sweaty people in a Phish (rock band) concert.
- Rhett likes Butterfingers
- For most of Rhett's student life, he never knew the c in c-store stood for convenience.
- When Rhett was a kid, he used to always order strawberry ice cream. When Link asked why his kids always order strawberry ice cream, Rhett responded hat it was a phase. Rhett still likes strawberry ice cream.
- Rhett likes orange creamsicles.
- Rhett loves what happened to Dick Vitale's voice (not in a mean way) and is trying to make it happen to him. (not in a bad way) Ice Cream Taste Test Tournament Day 3.
- Rhett says pecan like pe-CON when talking about ice cream, and pee-can when referring to the nut.
- Both Rhett and Link think he is the sorer loser of the two.
- Rhett thinks he is the more gracious winner.